Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Late AGAIN!!!

Maybe someday I will do things on time.....hey, one can dream, right?!? This is my second week to participate in this: http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/2009/05/show-us-where-you-live-friday-living.html (I don't know how to do those fancy links yet!!) So here goes my living room!!



This is what you see when you walk in the front door....yes, those are SEVERAL vertical blinds missing that my kids have pulled down and broke, pathetic I know!!

This is my fireplace. I really need to finish putting pictures of our family in the big frame but it is SUCH a pain.....



If you look to the left this is what you see:

And if you look to the right:


The box next to my wet bar is my shadow box of my Daddy's things. May 23rd will be 8 years since he died in a car wreck on his way home from work. I had a smaller version of this and for Christmas one year, my Momma had this big one done for me. It has his favorite fishing hook, his toothpicks that were on his bedside table(he was NEVER without a toothpick and in fact a very dear friend of mine remembered to bring one to the viewing and he put it in Daddy's pocket saying, "Charley would be pissed off if he didn't have a toothpick" and indeed he would have!!!) his chapstick that he would smear from under his nose all the way to his chin, his favorite pocket knives, his wallet (with all of his stuff still in there, including a five dollar bill that his granny had given him for Christmas a few days before she passed away), a dollar bill that my son had given him,a picture of him on my wedding day (complete with a toothpick in his mouth!!) and the letter looking thing in the big frame is something my sister wrote and I read at his funeral. Needless to say, this shadow box is very special to me and is the 2nd thing I grab when we go to the cellar (after my kids of course!!).



Here is my entertainment center that I actually thought looked good until seeing these photos, ha!! It looks really cluttered to me now!!!


And here is my collection of hoot owls. Why hoot owls? My Daddy could hoot and sound like a real owl. It is something he always did when I was growing up. When he was up in the mountains with his nephews hunting, he would hoot until they found him. When he would come visit us after my son was born, instead of knocking on the door, he would go to a window and hoot. Tyler would drop what he was doing and run to the window!! If Tyler was getting into something he shouldn't be, Daddy would hoot and Tyler would go running to him! And he has used owls several times since he has died as signs to show us that he is still close by and watching over us! Needless to say, hoot owls are special to my family. Notice the bigger ones on top of the entertainment center. The flag was from his casket.

One last view from the hallway:
Oh and here is my plain jane entry way (I really want a sofa table to put under my "live, laugh, love" sign but haven't found one that I like at a price that I can afford!!




This was one long tour!!! I have lots of empty wall space and lots of things that I would like to do but it works for us now and I think I need to wait a bit longer before getting nice things. My kiddo's are HARD on our stuff!!! Hope you guys are enjoying these tours as much as me!!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

OMG Jessica! I was SUPER close to my Daddy too! He passed away 11 years ago this past January and I miss him every single day even now! I SO appreciate your pictures and your honesty. LOVE the missing slats in the blinds. My girls would have done the same thing when they were little. Hope you don't think I'm bizarre but really glad to have found your blog! ;o)

Claire said...

What cute pictures of your home - I for one love all the stuff on the entertainment centre.

Cxx

xx said...

I love your owl story. So special! Thanks for visiting my kitchen! Yes, I live in McAlester (unfortunately). Small world, huh?

Anonymous said...

Love your entertainment center, so filled with many memories and history! Mine is so blah! Your house is very cozy!

Crystal said...

Ha ha these pics must have been taken before Charley woke up!!! Beautiful house!